Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

BHS pummels GP before homecoming crowd of 6,203

Posted in:
  • BHS pummels GP before homecoming crowd of 6,203
    Boerne’s McCoy Bruce intercepts a pass during Friday’s homecoming game against Gregory-Portland. Bruce was also named homecoming king at halftime. Star photo by Cole Tamplet

After three weeks on the road, the Boerne High football team put on quite a show in its first home game of the season Friday when the Hounds hosted Gregory-Portland.

The Greyhounds steamrolled the previously unbeaten Wildcats, 50-22, before a homecoming crowd of 6,203 at BISD Stadium.

BHS improves to 3-1 and visits Salado Friday, while Gregory-Portland slips to 3-1 on the year.

The Greyhounds knocked the wind out of the Wildcats with three touchdowns in the first six minutes of the game and Gregory-Portland never recovered.

Boerne played downhill from that point on and went into halftime with a 30-point lead at 37-7 against a Wildcats team that came in ranked No. 10 in the Dave Campbell 5A-DII poll.

“The crowd was fantastic. We wanted to play with a lot of energy and the crowd sure made it easy, it was a great atmosphere,” BHS coach Che Hendrix said. “This is Boerne on a Friday night. It’s a packed house, the end zone is packed, they said they sold out of tickets and to come out and get that kind of start was awesome.”

The Hounds scored on its opening drive when Brooks Perez caught a 54-yard pass from Hank Hendrix for the 7-0 lead less than three minutes into the game.

Just three plays into Gregory- Portland’s first drive, Boerne’s defense got on the board when Trendon McCarter stole the ball from Wildcats QB Reed Dooms and returned it for a score and it was 14-0 after the Carson Cooper kick, giving the Hounds two TDs in 31 seconds.

The next Gregory-Portland possession turned into more bad news for the Wildcats after Charlie Stahl blocked a punt to set up the BHS offense at the GP 22-yard line.

A few plays later, Walker Hill caught a 12-yard pass from Hank Hendrix and it was 20-0 just 6:02 into the game.

“When you score on offense, score on defense and get a block on special teams and set up a score, it’s really tough to recover,” Coach Hendrix said.

In the second quarter, Cooper booted a 21-yard field goal, T.J. Dement busted loose on a 70-yard run and Gavin Hankins hauled in Hank Hendrix’s third touchdown pass of the night and the Hounds took a 37-7 lead into halftime.

The Hendrix to Hankins TD pass was set up by a McCoy Bruce interception. Bruce gave Boerne another short field and was then named homecoming king at halftime.

In the third quarter, Bruce snagged another Hank Hendrix pass for a score and then Perez made it 50-14 on the fifth Hank Hendrix touchdown pass of the game.

The Wildcats scored twice in the second half, but not enough to make a difference. By the middle of the third quarter, most of the Boerne starters were out of the game.

Boerne’s last drive started with 7:00 on the clock in the fourth and they chewed all seven minutes off to end the game and cap an impressive homecoming win.

“We wanted to come out and play with a lot of energy,” Coach Hendrix said. “We played great tonight; I was proud of our team effort.”